Tuesday, August 1

Purging

I have been cleaning out cubbards in my house...this cycle never ends for me. I clean it out, organize it and then 6 months later, it's back to a whopping mess!! Ever have that problem?? I think part of my problem is that I need to purge, get rid of what we haven't used in a year. If we haven't used it in a year, it's probably a good sign we never will, right?! I need to purchase some more of those plastic boxes to label so everything has it's own place. I did this for my girl's room and it was the best thing! Every toy has it's place, their room can be a big mess and it doesn't stress me out because I know not everything is going to be shoved into their toy box.

Ok, back to purging...another problem I have with cleaning out the closets and cubbards is what am I going to do with it all!? For me, a garage sale is not very lucrative. Once I count up all the hours of preperation before and after and comparing the profit...it's just not worth it to me. Believe me, I have had my share of garage sales. Then there is Goodwill, but that would require me packing it all into the car...which I have done, but not my favorite thing to do. So, yesterday we got a little postcard in the mail saying that a certain charity will be in our neighborhood to pick up any curbside donations next week! Yes!! Perfecto!!! I am taking advantage of this and doing a little summer clearance!! My husband will be so happy to finally get rid of the bags of stuff I already have sitting in his garage! I would love to show before and after pics to ya, but still having some networking problems...Have a great productive day!

2 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! YES! I'm right there with you! There's a wonderful book called "Clutter's Last Stand it's time to De-Junk your life" Pretty much the author (Don Aslett) thinks that everything is JUNK. Well, really he thinks that you need to consider that for EVERY LITTLE THING you own, you have to store it, clean it, insure it, keep track of it etc. He makes a very good point about drawers and cupboards...they are to keep the items that we use on a REGULAR basis free from sight and dust. They are not meant to be places in our homes that we fill with 'storage' He really makes you think about what you have and future purchases. He started out with a cleaning company in college so he even has lots of recommendations about cleaning supplies and how to make cleaning more efficient and easy. One tip he gives is to clean out the garage and scrub the cement like you've never scrubbed before. Once dry put two coats of sealer on the cement. This allows future grease spills and dirt to be wiped up with minimal effort.

The book is a bit redundant but a great resource!

Now if I could just get my grandmother to see his point of view. She grew up in the depression...he addresses that era as well, why they're pack rats and what to do about it. He has a whole bunch of books about specific areas of cleaning and organizing.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger McKenzie said...

awesome Brandi!! I will definately check out his book!! Thanks a million!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger